Thursday, February 27, 2014

Reflections on the YAM Mission: What it all Meant

By Orena

Life is what you make it. And life is what you need to possess in order to brighten the day of others and that is exactly what this vibrant village is blessed with, Life! I did not grow up in America I grew up in a country with the similar culture, the similar hope, the similar joy, the similar sight, and similar faith. It never crossed my mind that others have to endure the things I had to or even more worse. I was practically a hopeful child, hoping that everyday would be better than the previous day. Visiting Cambodia was an eye opener. This experience will forever be in my heart and will forever be carried with lots of love and grace. This village ESP helped me realize that happiness comes from within and not from around. Building a foundation for the church was also the same as building a foundation for my life. I am now looking at things differently and I am more happy because I've learned to let my happiness exude from within. And the most important part was building the foundation together.

You are my family in the name of The Lord Jesus. This a special family because everyday I look forward to being here with the kids--playing, working, and singing! I have learned a lot from this family and I hope that you all have learned some things also. The bond we have built is one of God's marvelous work. God is a good and merciful God who deserves all the praise. What The Lord put together no man can tear apart. We were put together by the faith of our Lord and we will remain together through the blood of Jesus. Do not get discouraged, because you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you. Live your life one day at a time. And live in Christ. And remember you're not alone for The Lord will never leave nor forsake you. Stay blessed and you are forever In my prayers because a family that prays together stays together.

**********

By Zoey

Coming here to Cambodia was a once in a lifetime experience. The God of the universe willingly chose my path of life and Cambodia’s path of life to cross, to ultimately change not only yours but my life as well. In the Bible God made it very clear that when one person is happy he is happy as well, and  this is why we have all came here and shared this wonderful experience with all of you. When I first signed up for this trip I wasn’t quite sure what I was about to face. I didn’t know what the conditions were going to be and how this whole trip was going to work out in general. But my main reason as to why I signed up for this trip was because I wanted to explore the Methodist faith.

Compared to most churches, my church is really small and some of the things most of my fellow ambassadors participate in we do not, so that was a little scary. But not only did I want to explore my Methodist faith but my dream in life is explore different cultures. It’s so exciting to see the smiles and laughter coming from all of you because in America no one is as appreciative as you guys. To be able to see you guys acting this was really warms my heart.

When I first got here I was aware that I have officially arrived in Cambodia, however I felt that nothing has clicked or changed my life. I was having a hard time trying to find out what I was supposed to learn, and even how this trip was supposed to change my life. The constant battle of everyone else feeling accomplished by figuring out why they are here and the realization that America is too privileged kept my mind away from the bigger picture. Building the foundation for this church was like my foundation for this trip. When I laid my first brick I finally found out as to why I am here. This was it.

Jesus has shined through all of my troubles and finally showed me. God works in mysterious ways. I believe I was taught through all the laughs and smiles of the children, especially at the school. To be able to have this opportunity to have this reality check in my life has really changed me in many ways. Hope is the place that Jesus is bringing us in this experience. Our old lives and all of its baggage are passing away. We were made for something greater, and Jesus promises he won’t leave ever. If you have Jesus you are not hopeless.

We need to start seeing ourselves as missionaries and ambassadors of Christ in everything. And here’s the awesome part, all of this stuff we created doesn’t just go up in smoke as soon as we leave. It will be a part of the fully restored and redeemed city of God. Gods working to build this church and looking to make this town; all he asks is if we want in.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice and inspirational post you have shared! It is right that if you work on the path of God, He rewards you with His blessings and never leaves you alone.

    ReplyDelete