Friday, February 28, 2014

To the Past and the Present: Getting Ready to Come Back

By A. Louis

Today was quite a day. I learned so much. Visiting the museum started off very interesting but it inevitably turned depressing. The way the tour guide explained the methods of torture of the Cambodians really got to me. They would even execute babies, bashing their heards against coconut trees. The Khmer Rouge reminded me very much of the Holocaust, someone with immense power who falsely uses it to hurt and endanger others. With great power comes great responsibility, some people fail to realize this. The killing fields was simply a reiteration of the museum. I did not take the headphones but I read all the signs I could, informing us of these ruthless people. I feel great remorse for these people because they do not deserve such cruelty, nobody does. I’m so glad to have been able to come to this country and live such a great experience.

By Aaron

Today we visited the Royal Palace. Since it was our last day our spirits were down and we didn’t pay attention much. Over the course of the trip, we really bonded and we really wanted to spend more time together. The Palace was still very interesting. The throne room’s floor was pure silver, The servants had to wear the colors of the week, like red on Sundays and orange on Monday and etc. The rest of the day was spent shopping. We stopped by a enormous mall. It was something unbelievable considering how underprivileged Cambodia is. It also shows how much America affect other parts of the world. We then stopped at a local market where found great deals and presents for our families. We arrived at our hotels and we packed and looked back at everything that happened. It was a sad yet glad time. We were glad that we accomplished what we came for, our mission, and glad that we’re returning home after a long and tiring trip. We felt sad that we were leaving the friendship and bonds that we have created, both at the village, and with one another. I am pretty excited to come back home after the trip, but I’m going to miss Cambodia. I’m very glad to have had this experience and I’m glad to have spent such a wonderful time with my new friends.

1 comment: